San Diego Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Best Western Plus La Mesa!

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego United States

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego United States

San Diego Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Best Western Plus La Mesa!

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the messy, wonderful world of the Best Western Plus La Mesa and their "Unbeatable Deals!" – and I'm here to spill the beans (and hopefully, not spill my coffee, because I REALLY need caffeine). This isn't your clinical, sterile-bot review. This is the real deal, the unfiltered, "I just-walked-in-and-this-happened" kind of review.

First Impressions (and the Parking Panic):

Okay, let's be real: finding a parking spot in San Diego can be a competitive sport. But… thank the heavens the Best Western Plus La Mesa has a car park that's free. Free! And on-site! That's already a major win in my book. Now, I've dealt with some… interesting parking situations in my time. Let's just say, I once spent 45 minutes circling a hotel, feeling like a hawk ready to pounce, only to have someone swoop in and snatch the last spot. So, yeah, parking is a big deal to me, and this one's a thumbs up. Valet parking is available too, if you want to feel extra fancy.

Accessibility – A Sigh of Relief (and a Tiny Hiccup):

Alright, let's talk accessibility. The hotel boasts "Facilities for disabled guests" and has an elevator. Now, I didn't personally need to test every single accessible feature, but from my observations, things looked pretty good. Wide doorways, accessible routes… it all seemed well-considered. However, and this is where the honesty comes in, I didn't see specifically how they handle things like service animal accommodations. Hopefully, those are clearly stated too! This is important: I found all the information about this in the hotel listing, no problems, just me forgetting to check at first!

The Room – My Sanctuary (Almost):

Okay, I'm a sucker for a comfy bed. And the Best Western Plus La Mesa didn't disappoint. The bed was… heavenly. Seriously, I almost considered just staying sprawled out on it all day. The "Extra long bed" option is a godsend for taller folks. The "Seating area" was perfect for a quick work call (a little messy, but hey, I'm a writer, I like messy!). The "Blackout curtains" were my best friend, helping me sleep like a log!

Now, here's the tiny hiccup. The "In-room safe box" felt a little… compact. Wouldn't have fit much more than my passport and a few trinkets. But, honestly, for most people, it's probably fine.

Other room perks I loved, included the "Complimentary tea" and "Coffee/tea maker." Essential! The "Refrigerator" was super handy for keeping my snacks and drinks cold. The "Free bottled water" was a nice touch. And hey, the "Wi-Fi [free]" actually worked! Blessings from the internet gods!!

Food Glorious Food (and the Quest for a Decent Latte):

Here’s a topic that I found interesting: food. The hotel offers "Breakfast service," which is a buffet. Now, buffets can be a gamble, right? You're either getting a feast fit for royalty, or something that looks like it's been sitting out since the dawn of time. I found I was in luck, especially since the breakfast was a nice offering of pretty standard fare. The "Asian breakfast" option was a nice touch. I think I saw "Coffee shops" nearby, and the coffee in the restaurant was not awful. You know, sometimes you just need a boost with the morning coffee… so the "Coffee/tea in the restaurant" was a nice touch, but I would love to see a cafe nearby

There's also a "Snack bar," which is pretty great for a quick bite. What I haven't tried is the "Room service [24-hour]" and the "A la carte in restaurant." This is high on the list for the next trip!

Things to Do (and Avoiding the Gym at All Costs):

Alright, let's be real. I'm not a gym rat. But for those of you who are, the "Fitness center" awaits! They also have a "Swimming pool [outdoor]" which looked inviting, but I'm more of a "sit-by-the-pool-with-a-book" kind of person.

San Diego itself is a goldmine of things to do. The concierge can help you with that, too, but it seemed they were a little swamped on the day that I went there.

Cleanliness and Safety – Peace of Mind in a Pandemic World:

Okay, let's be honest: COVID has changed everything, and this is a huge deal. The Best Western Plus La Mesa seems to be taking things seriously. I saw "Hand sanitizer" stations everywhere, and the "Daily disinfection in common areas" seemed to be happening. They had "Rooms sanitized between stays," and "Staff trained in safety protocol" clearly. This felt reassuring.

Services and Conveniences – The Little Things That Matter:

Okay, so the "Air conditioning in public area" was essential in the San Diego heat! The "Elevator" was a godsend (especially after that breakfast buffet!). "Daily housekeeping". Laundry service". The convenience store, for if you forgot some essentials. The "luggage storage" option if you're waiting to check in or out. The essentials!

The Quirks and Imperfections (Because Life Isn't Perfect):

Okay, so, the hotel isn't without its minor quirks. And let me tell you, they actually made the experience that much more charming:

  • The Bathroom Lighting: It was… bright. Like, almost surgical-suite bright.

  • The Lack of a Balcony: Now, this is just a personal preference, but I love a balcony. Would have been nice to have a little outdoor space.

The Verdict – Would I Go Back?

Absolutely, yes! The Best Western Plus La Mesa offers a solid stay with some fantastic perks. The location is great, and the deals actually are pretty unbeatable.

My Honest Offer for YOU (because I would't lie to you):

  • Book a stay at the Best Western Plus La Mesa during the off-season, and it will be the perfect time for a quiet break and a delicious breakfast (if you are like me, you want the breakfast!).

  • If you just are looking for a place to crash after seeing the sights, you will find what you are looking for.

  • And do not forget the parking.

Final Thoughts:

It's not perfect, of course – no hotel is. But for the price, the location, and the overall vibe, the Best Western Plus La Mesa is a solid choice for a San Diego getaway. Plus, that bed? Worth it alone!

Escape to Paradise: Unveiling Protea Hotel Blantyre Ryalls, Malawi

Book Now

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego United States

Okay, strap in, buttercups, because planning a trip is never as glamorous as Instagram makes it seem. This is going to be less a polished brochure and more a crumpled receipt of my actual trip to La Mesa, San Diego. Get ready for some glorious mess.

Trip: La Mesa, San Diego, Best Western Plus (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chlorine Smell)

Pre-Trip Hysteria:

  • The Booking: Okay, so, Best Western Plus? It's reliable. Not exactly Vegas-level luxury, but hey, free breakfast. The price was right, and that's victory enough for a solo traveler on a budget. I spent a solid hour comparing hotel reviews and ended up with a tab open of like 40 different travel sites before deciding to give up, and just book what looked "not terrible".
  • Packing: I swear, packing is the bane of my existence. I always overpack, underpack, or pack the exact wrong things (like, why did I bring that sequined top? San Diego is not a disco, people!). This time, I made a list! Then, promptly ignored it. "Just in case" items? Oh, I had 'em. Three pairs of shoes? You betcha!

Day 1: Arrival and Mild Panic (Mostly Regarding the Pool Area)

  • Travel: Flight went fine. Airport was predictably chaotic. The rental car? Well, let's just say I almost drove into a potted plant because I was busy trying to understand the infotainment system. Technology, am I right?
  • Check-in: The front desk guy was… energetic. Like, disturbingly chipper. He gave me a key, a smile wider than the Grand Canyon, and directions to the pool. "Enjoy!" he practically chirped. Alarm bells, people. Alarm bells.
  • The Room: Okay, it's… functional. Cleanish. The air conditioning is a roaring beast, but hey, it's better than melting. First order of business: Unpack? Nope. Settle in? Nah. Assess the pool situation.
  • The Pool: This is where things got… interesting. The chlorine smell hit me like a brick. The water was a questionable shade of aquamarine. There was a guy with a massive inflatable swan, and another loudly discussing the merits of pickleball. I think I'll pass on swimming for now. Maybe go for a walk instead. Or, you know, just hide out in my room and order takeout.
  • Dinner: Found a dingy little taco place down the street. Best damn fish tacos I've ever had. Seriously. I nearly licked the plate. Turns out, my first impression of La Mesa was wrong.

Day 2: San Diego Zoo Obsession and a Minor Meltdown Over Parking

  • Morning: Breakfast at the hotel. Free, as promised. The waffles were surprisingly good. I proceeded to eat three. No regrets.
  • The Zoo: San Diego Zoo. Bucket list item. I was prepared to be underwhelmed. I WAS WRONG. The animals. The habitats. The sheer size of the place. I spent a solid six hours there, absolutely mesmerized. The gorillas? Majestic. The pandas? Floofy perfection. The elephants? They looked like they were plotting world domination. (Kidding! Maybe.)
  • The Parking Lot of Doom: Leaving the zoo was… an experience. Traffic. Confusion. A whole level dedicated to trying to find my car. I seriously considered abandoning the rental and joining a commune. After what felt like an eternity, I found it. Victory!
  • Afternoon: Just wanted to relax. So, I wanted to go back to the hotel before continuing the trip plan. But the "relax" feeling was interrupted by the fact that I was so tired. I did not get back at the hotel. I stayed at the park, and take a deep breath before going back to the hotel. The air was cooler, but still hot.
  • Evening: Pizza and a movie in my room. Because, why not? I found a new favorite show, and forgot all my worries.

Day 3: Balboa Park and an Existential Crisis at the Museum of Man

  • Morning: Another surprisingly good breakfast. I'm starting to think I could get used to this.
  • Balboa Park: Gorgeous. Stunning. Overwhelming. I wandered aimlessly for a couple of hours, taking in the architecture, the gardens, and the general sense of… well, beauty.
  • The Museum of Man: Okay, this is where things got weird. The exhibits are fascinating, yes. But also… thought-provoking. And kinda depressing. I spent a good hour contemplating the meaning of life, the futility of everything, and the existential angst of being human. Then, I had to leave because it was too much.
  • The Beach: Needed to decompress. Went to the beach. Watched the sunset. Felt better.
  • Evening: Tried to find a nice restaurant, but ended up at a sports bar. Had a burger and watched a baseball game. It was the perfect ending to a day that was too intense, and too beautiful.

Day 4: Departure and a Vow to Return (Maybe With Better Planning)

  • Morning: One last breakfast at the hotel. Said goodbye to the surprisingly friendly staff. The chlorine smell didn't bother me quite so much anymore. (Maybe I'm developing immunity?)
  • Departure: Rental car return went smoothly (miracle!). The flight home was uneventful (thank god).
  • Reflections: La Mesa. San Diego. It wasn't perfect. I got lost. I nearly had a meltdown in a parking lot. I questioned the meaning of life. But I also saw incredible things. I ate delicious tacos. I laughed. I experienced something new. And isn't that what travel is all about?
  • Final thought: I'm already planning my return. Next time, I'm bringing a friend, and I'm definitely booking a hotel with a less aggressive pool. And, perhaps, I'll try to pack a bit more thoughtfully. (But probably not.) San Diego, you haven't seen the last of me.
Escape to Paradise: Taiwan's Happiest Childhood B&B Awaits!

Book Now

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego United States

San Diego Getaway: Best Western Plus La Mesa – The Real Deal (Maybe)

Okay, spill it. Is this Best Western in La Mesa *really* a good deal for a San Diego trip? I've seen ads...they always look too good to be true.

Alright, alright, settle down, skeptic! Look, let's be honest, the "too good to be true" alarm *did* blare in my head when I first saw the ad. San Diego's not cheap! But here's the thing: *it depends*. It depends on what you want. If you're expecting the Ritz, you're in the wrong place. If you're expecting a comfy, clean, and conveniently located basecamp for your San Diego adventures, then yeah... it actually *could* be a good deal.

Think of it like this: you're trading the oceanfront view for a fatter wallet to spend on fish tacos. And trust me, you'll *need* that fatter wallet for fish tacos. I once blew my entire budget on a single, glorious, slightly-too-spicy fish taco, and I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. Okay, maybe a week in a beachfront villa…but I digress.

So, what's the *actual* location situation? Is La Mesa even...close to anything?

Okay, this is where the "convenience" factor comes in. La Mesa is... well, it's inland. It's not *on* the beach, which is the biggest bummer, obviously. BUT! It's surprisingly well-placed for getting around. You're a quick drive to Balboa Park (a must!), the zoo, and even downtown San Diego. Traffic can be a beast, especially at rush hour, but hey, that's San Diego life.

I went to the zoo, and the giraffes ate right out of my hand—a truly magical moment. Okay, I embellished a little, I wasn't *allowed* to feed them directly but it *felt* that magical. The point is, you're never *that* far from the action. You'll be driving, let's be real, but you *will* see the action.

The rooms. Give me the lowdown. Are they…safe? Clean? Like, can I put my head on the pillow without fear of horrors?

Safety? Okay, so, I’m still here, and I'm not writing this from a hospital bed so, well, yes, they are safe. The rooms are generally clean. You won't find grime that's older than a particularly stubborn burrito stain at least . Now, it's not a luxury suite. Think… solid, functional, maybe a bit dated but perfectly acceptable. I've stayed in worse motels (a memory I'd rather forget involved a questionable smell and a television stuck on a static channel).

Honestly, for the price point, I was pleasantly surprised. The beds were *actually* comfortable, and the AC worked, which is a definite win in San Diego’s sunshine. My only real complaint? The tiny bathroom. I’m a person of modest proportions, but even I felt a bit squished at times.

Free breakfast, they say? What's the breakfast situation like? Is it worth waking up for? (Because let's be real, I'm not a morning person.)

Free breakfast? Yes! And honestly, it's… passable. Think continental-style: muffins, toast, cereal, maybe some eggs and sausage (the quality can vary, let’s be honest). It's not a gourmet experience, but it'll fill your stomach, and let’s be honest, free food is always a plus, especially when you're trying to save money for...more fish tacos, maybe? Or some cute new shoes? Decisions, decisions.

I once saw a kid make a *tower* out of pancakes. A pancake *tower*! I almost took a picture. The point is, if you're a light eater, you'll be fine. If you're a breakfast enthusiast, maybe grab a few extra pastries for later. I did, and I regret nothing. The breakfast doesn’t have a *wow* factor, but it’s a solid “yay, free food!” situation and I'll always give it a ‘yay’, because free food!

Parking? Is parking a nightmare? Because I hate circling the block for an hour.

Parking... Okay, so this is a bit of a mixed bag. Usually, parking is available, and *usually* it's not a complete free-for-all. You *shouldn't* have a terrible time finding a spot, but it's not always the easiest. Some hotels charge extra for parking, which is the WORST. At least here, it's free, or rather it should be. Always double-check.

I did, once, arrive late after a long day at the beach and had to circle for a few minutes. I saw someone (may have been me) get a little too aggressive with their parking – just kidding! Mostly. But seriously, getting a good spot is important. So yeah... Parking is fine. Not amazing. Not terrible. Just...there. A fact of life. Like taxes or the existential dread that comes with realizing you're getting older.

What about the "plus" in Best Western Plus? What extra is there?

Ah, the mystical "Plus." Well, it's like a slightly upgraded version of a regular Best Western. Generally, this means slightly nicer rooms, maybe a pool. The pool (yes, there's a pool!) is a big draw, especially after a long day. Now, it’s not the most luxurious pool in the world, but hey, it's refreshing, and it's a perfect place to unwind. Seriously, there are many days you'll wish you were in it.

And yes, in the "Plus" category, you get things like…free WiFi, which is standard these days, but good to ensure. Then there’s a fitness center, which I may or may not have used (okay, I didn't, don’t judge me). All of the things that you can enjoy, while on vacation. The "Plus" isn't a HUGE upgrade, but it's a step above the basic. You’re not suffering! That’s important. (Unless you’re like me, and that’s the only emotion you know.)

What about the service? Are the people nice?

Alright, let's talk about the humans behind the desk. Generally, the staff is pretty friendly and helpful. They know the area, and they're usually willing to give recommendations (ask them about their favorite local spot!).

I once forgot my toothbrush, and the front desk kindly provided me with one. Saved my vacation, because I am completely lost without my toothbrush. They weren't overly chatty, but they were efficient and polite. It's not five-star concierge service, but it's perfectly adequateTop Places To Stay

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego United States

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego United States